Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sight-seeing in Washington DC!!!!

      Currently I am up in our nation's capital, Washington DC, for the NCAA tournament. Today we got the opportunity to go sight seeing. There are a lot of different places that I didn't even know were of existence in the U.S.; many of them made my love for America grow even more. From afar I saw the Washington Monument, we will hopefully get to see it more up close tomorrow during some down time. 
       I toured the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was very touching and moving to actually see really life pictures from the time period. The new exhibit featured in the museum was all about Propaganda. Did you know that in about 25 years Nazi Propaganda took over Germany? It was crazy to see power journalism had over the country while Hitler was in control. Also learned a lot about the education that was given to non-jew students during the time period. There was a timeline that was used in classrooms, more like forced, that only contained knowledge and information regarding Nazi historical figures. I thought it was extremely interesting to see how Hitler truly took over Germany; kind of the background behind his plan. 
       I also got to tour the Space and Aircraft museum. Only got to see the first floor of things because we were kind of rushed on time. Found out that during the 50's women were wanted to be stewardesses. However, you had to be 'one step below hollywood' looking. This meaning, you had to be between 5' 2 and 5'6, you had to be a pretty woman, had to be single ( I thought this was an interesting fact), and needed to be friendly. Interesting.... 
    Very excited to get to explore new places tomorrow outside. Hopefully the weather will be warmer. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had time for sight-seeing. My first trip to DC was last spring and I was thrilled. One evening, my friend Amy and I walked the National Mall from the US Capitol to the Washington Monument, then sat beneath the monument gazing one way over the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial, one way to the White House, the other to the Capitol building. It was a starry night with a full moon, and I was in the nation's capitol ... almost had to pinch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BONAKALA and DIANA SANDERSON....they are all with CALIZ and ELIZE.
    And so is TERSARC with CHSTS and ROKST ifpgivingng it all away with CHO and HONYAWK!
    MICAK is , too.
    And it's pretty GROSS knowing that GATOR!
    SUCTORDO talks about QUANDERY- HYPENTS?
    EACUST - POTYMP does , too?
    And ORKSPER and HESSE got so much HESSESSES that SESSECTE to DESEESE got too
    much CONIZZE in FODEN.
    ZETAS- 99.
    Should not have " abused" them.
    They got FOCK WORMS in WORMAC " unbeliefable".

    ReplyDelete